Friday 20 March 2015

One year on; Birch Box disappointments


I don't like to be negative, but I think it's hard to have gone one year without some disappointing products within the Birchbox. Due to the nature of the box, not everything is going to be amazing. It's always a gamble.

There are products that I have used, and enjoyed but probably wouldn't buy again, but then there are the products that have just disappointed me. Either my face fell when I saw them in the box, or I had so much hope for them, but they just didn't rise up to my expectations. Luckily this is a short list, but I wanted to highlight the products that I just didn't like.

I would like to point out before I get into them, that these are all personal to me. Someone else could find these products perfect!

The biggest disappointment for me were the Drinkwel capules, which are designed to help you recover after a night out partying, I was actually a little annoyed at receiving these on two accounts; 1) I don't drink, so it immediately makes them redundant, and 2) I don't like the idea of taking pills for those types of things. Other people may find them perfect, but they were very, very wrong for me,

One of the other biggest disappointments was the Stila lip glaze. I was actually very excited about receiving it, as I really wanted to try something from Stila. I like the design of tube - you twist the bottom and it brings product onto the brush at the top, even though it did take a while to initially get some product out. The finish though just doesn't cut it. There is no pigment at all to the formula. It gives a gloss, but it mostly just wipes glitter onto the lips. I personally cannot see a time when I will want glittery lips. To top it off, it is very, very sticky. It just didn't work out at all.

The next ones are a very personal disappointment which I'm sure most people don't share. I have said multiple times I do not like red nail polish, and I received two in consecutive boxes - one from the OPI Coca-Cola collection and one from Lollipops. The formula may be great, but they were never ones I was interested in trying out to see how they fared in the first place. Benefit's It's Potent eye cream is another one that falls under this category. I used the eye cream prior to receiving it in the box (here), and it just doesn't work for me, as it's not gentle enough.

I think I may have been more disappointed by the Model Co lip lacquer than I would have been if it wasn't a choose-your-own product that didn't work out. Not only was there not much off a colour pay-off, but it was also too gloopy and sticky, so I couldn't really find any benefits to using it.

Finally, the last thing on this list is another nail polish. This was the Model's Own glitter nail polish (not pictured as I gave it away ) I received back in the July box. The Model's Own nail polishes have redeemed themselves since (with a glitter one!), but this one was disappointing. The pay-off is very minimal with this one, as it is effectively just pink glitter with nothing else to it. I think it may be obvious about now that I am not a fan of glitter!

Have you tried any of these products?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *