Sunday 8 June 2014

3 things: books


For me, Sunday is a day for a leisure and relaxing. On Sunday's I like to go on a hike or on a bike ride. I like to go climbing or just have a leisurely stroll along the canal. I most certainly love my activities, but I also like to spend to relax. Sunday is the day I like to catch-up on my shows (I'm finally up-to-date with GoT) and watching a light afternoon movie is always.

One thing I really love to do is to read. I love literature and as you'll see from my picks below, Sci-Fi and Fantasy is my thing.

So here are three books which make perfect Sunday reading:



 Name Of The Wind - Patrick Rothfuss

This is a brilliant fantasy book and it is such an intriguing and layered story. It is about a man named Kvothe, a simple innkeeper, who, as times are getting darker, tells the story of his life to a chronicler. Kvothe is a man of legend and his story is very far from being boring. It involves mysteries, death and hard times. I don't want to say any more as I don't want to give any plot points away, but it is a fantastic book and do much is packed into the one volume. It is wonderfully written and all of it kept my attention. I am currently reading the second book in the series. It is just as good, but I am taking my time, as there is no release date for the third part yet!


Boneshaker - Cherie Priest

This book has it all.It's Steam Punk, with zombies. Let me say that again: It's Steam Punk with zombies. If that doesn't sell it I don't know what will.

It is part of a series of books called Clockwork Century, and this one follows Briar and her son Ezekiel years after a deadly gas began turning people into zombies, supposedly caused by Briar's husband drilling into the ground. The gas was walled off before it could do too much damage, but in a bid to clear his father's name Ezekiel heads into the wall to find out the truth, and Briar has no choice but to follow to save her son.

It is beautifully written, and is both witty and gripping. Plus it is great to have a strong woman forefront of the action. I love the book, and can't recommend it enough. I have started reading the next books in the series too and so far I'm loving them just as much.


The Ocean At the End Of the Lane - Neil Gaiman

I read this book very quickly, it was that engaging. In fact, it was only a matter of days that I completed it in. It is such a beautiful story. It is about a man, who, on his way to a funeral, visits an old house from his past. There he is reminded of his childhood and of the events which began with the lodger crashing the family car and set into motion dark and powerful spirits.

It was such a wonderful read. I love Gaiman's style of writing, as it's so easy to read but so captivating. It is not my favourite Gaiman book but I fell in love with it, and it makes such a wonderful story for a Sunday afternoon.

What books are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *